Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Cat Is Fat

Well she is, though not in an obese way, just a full sized loving ball of fur. Actually we have two cats, sisters. One is lean and the other chubby. One prefers canned food, the other dry. The lean one is the one who will only dine on canned food. While her plumper sister nibbles just enough on the canned food to get a taste. She prefers the dry, snacking a few times a day, not gorging herself by any stretch.

So the other day I opened a new pail of litter to fill their litter boxes, inside I found a sample pack of food, dry of course. Nothing new about this, it is an effective way to get product into the hands of pet owners who will of course let their pets try it.

There is nothing to lose on the owners part, if the cat doesn't like it so what. If they do, then there is another food they'll eat if their primary choice isn't available. Our cats will only eat one type of canned food, but don't seem to be too fussy about the dry stuff.

This sample however drew their attention immediately. I don't know if it was the smell or what, but I used it as a treat. All I had to do was move the bag and they knew I had it in my hand. So while I was letting them snack on a few kibbles from the sample pack I read the ingredients.

Two of the first three ingredients were corn. The first being processed chicken by products...probably things like feathers, feet, heads, beaks and other innards we humans won't consume willingly or knowingly. Corn, well we are learning that corn causes us to get fat. It is used in one form or another in just about everything we eat that is processed. Whether it be a corn based filler, or a corn based sweetener is doesn't do the body good. Just hollow calories which turn into fat.

I don't recall seeing any of the animal documentaries about cats, large or small, wild or domestic that preferred to graze on corn. They killed rodents and other animals for substance. Lions and Tigers attacked and killed the farmers, not strip their fields of their crops. Feral cats hunt and kill birds and mice, they do not raid feed sacks full of grains.

So, I know one reason what contributes to my cats as well as my own midsection...Corn. Will I purchase this dry food based on the sample and my cats like for it? No, probably not, I love my cats and I want them to live a long healthy life. I might as well watch their diet as well as my own.

No comments: